We have decades of experience in professional growing media industry and we can confirm this statement
Till now peat is and remains the best and most demanded raw material for professional growing medium. All the alternatives that were discovered, developed and applied could not surpass the properties of a good quality peat substrate.
Let’s list the some (but not all) main characteristics that have made peat a unique product for growers:
- Excellent for increasing water retention properties. It can hold up to 20 times its weight in water.
- High air holding capacity.
- Perfect for holding onto nutrients in the medium. Provide adequate water and water-soluble nutrients to the roots.
- Good source of organic matter, which will slowly degrade over a years.
- Improves medium structure, promotes good drainage, and prevents compaction.
- High cation exchange capacity (CEC)
- Good for adding to acid-loving plants since it has a pH of 3.5 to 4.5.
- Naturally weed free.